Since the last post I've been all hot and bothered about that guy's paste papers--and thinking it's high time I got back at it myself.
I've been reading up on various recipes for paste papers...and it dawned on me that for the 15 years I've been in this racket I've never used actual wheat paste to make my paste papers; I've always used methyl cellulose.
So today's big experiment was to check the difference between methyl cellulose and wheat paste. From the recipes I've read, there appears to be a million other things you can add to the mix (like glycerin, egg-white, etc.), but today I just wanted to see difference between those two. The first round was made with methyl cellulose and acrylics, and gave me the usual results---which always look a little muddy when they dry.
Then I mixed up wheat paste, acrylics and water and really started liking the consistency---it's not too watery and it has some body when it goes down on the sheet (I could probably have strained it to remove a few drier bits of paste). And I found I had to work faster with wheat paste---it was drying very quickly,
I had to leave when these were still a bit wet, but I'll check them tomorrow and put up images of the dry sheets.
Anyway, I'm pretty excited to have paste papers back in my life and I'm looking forward to a few more rounds of experimentation before full-fledged production.
12 May 2008 Okay, here's a close-up of the dry paste paper made with methyl cellulose yesterday---a little muddy like I thought it would be. The mc batch spread out and dried flat on the paper surface.